Through analyzing press releases, blog posts, industry reports, as well help from our readers, the following information was gathered.
1. 41% of the Top 100 Internet Retailers built their eCommerce platforms internally.
Most Top Online Retailers have very specific requirements for their eCommerce platforms. In order to meet those requirements and have platforms that target their unique business needs, almost half of the Top 100 Online Retailers decided to build custom in-house platforms from scratch.
2. Oracle ATG Commerce and IBM Websphere are 2 most popular commercial platforms.
Each was chosen by 20 online retailers as their web hosting platform. Some examples of Oracle ATG Commerce-based websites include:
- Neiman Marcus
Some examples of the IBM Websphere-based websites include:
Find out what other large online retailers use as their eCommerce platforms in the post ‘ATG vs WebSphere vs Demandware vs Hybris vs Magento vs Intershop vs GSI Platforms’ Biggest Clients’.
Other eCommerce platforms chosen by the Top 100 eRetailers are:
- eBay GSI Commerce
- Elastic Path
- Red Prairie
eCommerce Platforms For The Top 100 Online Retailers
3. It is not unusual for the Top Retailers to use different eCommerce platforms for different versions of websites.
Below are just a few examples of companies using different platforms for US vs non-US websites.
Lands’ End is a brand of Sears Inc. Sears Inc. is #6 on the 2013 Internet Retailer Top 500 eRetailers list.
OfficeMax is #11 on the 2013 Internet Retailer Top 500 eRetailers list.
Sony, a well known company, routinely appearing in the top 20 of the Internet Retailer Top 500 eRetailers list.
Toys ‘R’ Us is #30 on the 2013 Internet Retailer Top 500 eRetailers list.
Nike is #72 on the 2013 Internet Retailer Top 500 eRetailers list.
4. Some of the largest eCommerce retailers have recently switched (or announced their plans to switch) to another platform.
Walmart announced that it is building its own platform.
Kohl’s has recently moved from RedPrairie to Oracle ATG Commerce.
1-800-CONTACTS chose Demandware as its new eCommerce platform.
Lowe’s is going to make a ‘foundumental change’ to its eCommerce platform. The retailer didn’t specify if it was planning to leave IBM Websphere or not.
BestBuy is moving away from Oracle ATG Commerce. The retailer didn’t name its new eCommerce platform.
5. BorderFree/FiftyOne is a popular platform among the Top 100 Online Retailers for international expansion.
Among companies that use FiftyOne are:
- Neiman Marcus
- J. Crew
- Crate and Barrel, etc.
Liked this research? Take a look at the most recent 2014 Leading eCommerce Platforms for the Top 100 Online Retailers (America) report.
Disclaimer: I did my best to provide the most current and accurate information in this post through analyzing information about the Top 100 eRetailers published on the Web. However, up-to-date information about some retailers’ eCommerce platforms was not always available. As a result, while stats provided in this post are based on the most current information available online, there is a chance that some retailers switched to another platform but haven’t announced it yet. If you find it to be the case, please let me know and I will be happy to make the necessary changes. Lets keep this post current together!
1. Internet Retailer 2013 Top 500 eRetailers Guide
2. ‘GSI Commerce and Dick’s Sporting Goods Extend E-Commerce Agreement With New 15-Year Contract’
3. IBM Websphere Case Studies
4. Internet Retailer’s 2013 Leading Vendors to the Top 1000 E-Retailers
5. ebay enterprise Case Studies
6. Demandware press releases
7. Smith Clients Case Studies
8. Intershop clients Case Studies
9. eCommerce Platforms Buyers Guide
10. ‘How Staple.com upped back-to-school performance’
11. ‘Wal-Mart ups ante on e-commerce’
12. ‘Wal-Mart outlines its e-commerce priorities’
13. ‘QVC promotes from within for a new digital leadership role’
14. Commerce Architects clients list
15. ‘Sears shakes off its e-commerce inertia’
16. ‘IBM expands its cloud-based e-commerce technologies a year after their debut’
17. ‘Office Depot: A Destination for Office Supplies and e-business expertise’
18. ‘Best Buy online sales increase 10.5% in the second quarter’
19. ‘IBM Websphere Commerce vs ATG’
20. ‘W.W. Grainger budgets $40 million for online growth’
21. ‘IBM WebSphere Commerce Customer References’
22. Comments to the ‘ATG vs WebSphere vs Demandware vs Hybris vs Magento vs Intershop vs GSI Platforms’ Biggest Clients’ blog post
23. ‘Gap Inc. Introduces E-Commerce in Japan’
24. ‘Symantec Brings Consumer eCommerce Operation In-House’
25. ‘IBM expands its cloud-based e-commerce technologies a year after their debut’
26. ‘HSN infuses social elements into a major e-commerce site redesign’
27. ‘HSN Debuts Complete Digital Redesign That Makes Platforms Stronger, Faster and More Social’
28. ‘Kohl’s reports a 28% increase in e-commerce sales in Q2’
29. ‘Nordstrom Launches International Shopping in 30 Countries’
30. ‘Toys ‘R’ Us deploys new e-commerce platform to support Web 2.0′
31. e-point Projects: Amway
32. ‘Oracle Buys ATG’
33. ‘MSC Industrial Direct Co., Inc. Announces E-Commerce Agreement with Dana Corporation Utilizing Ariba B2B eCommerce Platform’
34. ‘Walgreen’s technology plan for omnichannel retail’
35. ‘The State Of Mobile Commerce’
36. ‘Neiman Marcus Direct Extends Its Relationship with ATG to Expand and Grow e-Commerce Operations; Renowned Retailer to Upgrade ATG Commerce and Implement Several New Wisdom-enabled ATG Solutions’
37. ‘FiftyOne And Neiman Marcus Partner To Bring Luxury Goods To Consumers In More Than 100 Countries’
38. ‘IBM Smarter Commerce’
39. ‘Lowe’s boosts online sales more than 50% in 2012’
40. ‘Cabela’s launches redesigned e-commerce site’
41. ‘HomeDepot.com will shut down for almost a day for maintenance’
42. AAXIS Group Case Srusies
43. ‘Gilt Goes Global; Expands Flash Sales Site To Over 90 Countries’
44. ‘J.Crew uses tech to fuel global e-commerce ambition’
45. ‘A better e-commerce platform begins with the bigger picture’
46. ‘Estee Lauder builds its European e-commerce house a brick at a time’
47. ‘Polo Ralph Lauren Extends Long-Term E-Commerce Partnership with GSI Commerce’
48. ‘American Eagle Outfitters Launches ATG Powered e-Commerce Site’
49. ‘IBM WebSphere Commerce Powers Today’s Leading Retailers’
50. ‘Crate and Barrel Launches Internationally with FiftyOne’
51. Fry’s clients list
52. Oracle ATG: Sales&Marketing Summit (Presentation)
53. Magento Customer Success Stories
54. One Pica Case Studies
55. ‘Top 10 Busiest Sites For Popular E-Commerce Software’
56. ‘1-800 CONTACTS Selects Demandware to Power Digital Commerce Operations’
57. ‘Powering the Cross-Channel Customer Experience with Oracle’s Complete Commerce’
58. ‘What Warren Buffett sees in Oriental Trading’
59. ‘Net-a-Porter doubles IT team to support in-house development’